Saturday 7 March 2015

50 dull shades

Wow, has it really been so many months since my last blog post? Shame on me.
The writing impetus today is from viewing - at last, say a couple close friends - the 50 Shades of Grey movie.
My overriding sense during the film and after was of disappointment. The book was such a wonderful read that I had high hopes. But haven't we all had an experience where a film adaption of a beloved book fails to meet our fervent hopes?
For me it was two things. First, I just could not get into Dakota Johnson as Anastasia. She left me flat. And second, the steamy scenes lacked the punch, the titillation of their written versions. There is so much scope for imagination, for spinning and interpreting a written scene. But when someone else interprets it to show in their movie, if their and our visions do not sufficiently overlap, we can be left disappointed.
Unless, of course, it is so radically different an interpretation that it bears no resemblance to our own visualizations. In those cases, when it hardly seems like the same scene by the same author, my enjoyment actually increases. I have an example in mind, maybe that will be a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment