Sunday 22 June 2014

How much steam required?

A contact recently suggested that I had too many words and too little sex in my stories, and they challenged whether what I wrote was truly erotic fiction.
I leave that for you to decide, although I reviewed my published and imminent stories and here is what I found:

  • Fortune's Keys, my full-length novel, has 45,000 words. In that text there are 6 sex scenes, including an extended rape.

This is the one I feel the criticism most fits. There is lots of sex, but it might better be classified as a Romance as the thrust of the story is more romantic than erotic.
I may yet reclassify this one.

  • Take 2 Takes 2 has 5,200 words, and the whole frame of the story is the filming of a sex scene in a film, a scene in which the lines between acting, consent and assault are blurred.

To me, that fits within the broader definition of erotic fiction. Obviously not to everyone's taste.

  • My Sweet Comforter is a brief 2,000 words, the second half of which is a sex scene.

I also examined my Strip Poker series, and found:

  • #1 - Lily Loses Her Shirt (due out very soon) has 9,300 words and four sex scenes, including one with bondage and one of group sex, plus lots of sensual stripping;
  • #2 - Queen Over Two Jacks is 5,400 words with two sex scenes, both threesomes;
  • #3 - Bound to Cheat (due out very soon) has 5 bondage-themed sex scenes spread over 9,400 words, pending final edits.

Perhaps not as many or as dense with sex as some other authors. But my fantasies, out of which my stories come, always have more than just sex.

I hope that the extra characters and details add to the enjoyment of my stories for more people than are turned off. They certainly sustain my own interest!

No comments:

Post a Comment