Friday 21 March 2014

Does order matter?

The famous Chronicles of Narnia are out of order. Or, rather, they have multiple possible orders.
Do you read them from book 1 to book 7? Makes sense.
Except that is not the sequence in which the author wrote them.
Nor is it the order in which he wanted them read.
No, the sequence is numbered based on the passage of time in the Narnia world. Mostly, at least.

The topic is on my mind this month because my strip poker series - granted in a whole different category and level of writing skill! - is coming together in a different order than I meant.
One is ready to go, publish as soon as I say to throw the proverbial switch.
Alas, I meant it to be #2.
And one is almost ready, just waiting on some final revisions.
You guessed it, I meant it to be #3.
But I like some of the developments the characters have shown me in these later stories. So I am returning to do some overhaul on #1, delaying it a few more weeks.
They are, like Narnia, numbered chronologically in my head. But they are largely stand-alone, not depending much, in my opinion, on what came before. So no reason why I could not release the one that  is ready, #2, any time. But all the years that these fantasies have been in my head, it has been second.
To release or not. In sequence or not.
Does order matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment